[Xen-users] USB Support for Windows HVM using VT-D?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Mike Brotzman" <mbrotzman.jhu@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2008 12:34:51 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 09:35:34 -0700

I am trying to get hotplugable USB support in a Windows HVM using Xen 3.2 on Fedora 8.  I am running a Dell 755 workstation with VT-D support and I am attempting to use the PCI passthrough process to grab a USB controller from the workstation and make it available to the Windows XP DomU.  I have successfully hidden the USB controller from Dom0 and my Windows XP VM does detect a "New USB Controller" but it says it needs drivers for the USB Controller and none of the default ones work.  I checked out both Dell and Intel looking for any new custom USB drivers for the 755 workstation and both sites said that Windows XP SP2+ should auto-detect the USB (and thus no special stand alone drivers were provided).  The USB controller in question is the Intel ICH9 family.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated even if the advice consists of "this can't be done (yet)" or "you need to run a Linux DomU".  I feel that I've either missed something or something is wrong with the brand new VT-D technology that is preventing Windows from interfacing with the USB controller.  Let me know if any additional information if needed for a diagnosis.  Thanks in advance.