Re: [Xen-users] xen domU backups

> Sometimes it helps.   If you do a save-backup-restore that helps even
> more, but be aware that if you ever restore and start the backup then it
> will continue doing what it did at the time of the backup.  In fact,
> everything it had in progress at the time of the backup will be done
> again.   At the "mostly harmless" end of the spectrum you'll get mail
> messages that were in a queue re-sent; at the other end of the spectrum
> ... Well, that depends on the applications.
>
> You need the cooperation of those applications because you can't just
> blindly restore (and restart) the backed up domU image and hope that
> everything will be fine.

Thanks for the replies.

So, right now, the only way to make a backup of a disk based image file,
is to shutdown the domU, copy the img file, and restart the domU.
Correct?

I suppose for linux pv's I could at least do this from a script during
the night, ie:

xm stop [domU-name]
cp --sparse=always blah blah
xm start ï[domU-name]

Windows I would have to stop manually, otherwise they are shut down
hard. I have a somewhat recent version of the GPLPV drivers installed,
but I have yet to see my Windows domU's shutdown nicely. I have not
spent much time troubleshooting, but I believe I have the shutdown
monitor service install.

Thanks,
James