Re: [Xen-users] Running Xen inside Xen?

  • To: deshantm@xxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Grant McWilliams" <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:29:46 -0700
  • Cc: test <test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Zach Shepherd <xen@xxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 10:30:37 -0700

Nested svm (http://avikivity.blogspot.com/2008/09/nested-svm-virtualization-for-kvm.html)
is requried for KVM to do any nesting and kvm is in the process of
implementing it.

Xen on the other had doesn't need to nest virtualization extensions
since it doesn't
require hardware support. AFAIK, nested SVM is not implemented for Xen, but it
is probably just a matter of time assuming there is enough interest
from Xen users
and developers.

BTW, Virtualbox also supports nested SVM.

Cheers,
Todd

Really? So we can nest PVs now? I'm using VBox for a project where I need multiple VMs and inside each a Virtualized Network with more VMs. I just assumed it couldn't do it yet since the posts just started showing up on the KVM site and I've seen nothing on the VBox list.

The code changes to KVM for nested SVM are about 1000 lines. Thats not much.

Grant McWilliams