[Xen-users] IP address vs. etc/interfaces in DomU

Hi all,

I tried to setup a DomU using Debian debootstrap. For networking I used bridge-mode and in the in the DomU configuration I specified a fixed IP address for the network card of the DomU using the vif comman
vif [ ' ip= 192.168.2.3' ].
The creation of the DomU works so far, but the init scripts seem not to bring eth0 up automatically. Therefore I had to set up the following in /etc/interfaces of the DomU:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
   address 192.168.2.3

So my question now is, what is the IP parameter in the vif command for, when I have to specify the IP address in /etc/interfaces? What happens when I specify different addresses?

Thanx

   Martin