Re: [Xen-users] How to setup my Xen network?

lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi all,

I have several servers I'd like to consolidate to Xen 3.2 and I am having a bit
of trouble with firewalls and the best network environment to chose from.  I
have read documentation here and there but I am a bit confused now and after
some advice or specific documentation.

1/ I'd like the following but have had problems getting ut to work with a
firewall on Dom0

                                |-> Dom1 (10.0.0.10) - Mail
WAN <-----> eth0 Dom0 <---------|-> Dom2 (10.0.0.10) - Web
        (87.98.252.205)         |-> Dom3 (10.0.0.10) - Web

Where Dom0 is the firewall and DomUs are natted.  Dom0 would have a web proxy
to redirect http to the right server.  I tried getting this to work with
shorewall but it's a no go.  Has someone managed this setup with a proper
firewall in place?

2/ Second option would be to use a bridge but I'm not sure the following would
work

          |-> Dom0 87.98.252.205 - (Restricted)
          |-> Dom1 98.12.113.200 - Mail
WAN <-----|-> Dom2 99.130.15.200 - Web
          |-> Dom3 85.99.120.113 - Web

Can I have a bridge with public IPs in completely different ranges?

3/ Last but not least is a theory I found about putting the Dom1 as the
firewall, locking out Dom0 for security reason and have the whole environment
natted.  If this would work for me, is there any documentation?  I see threads
and attempts but no real documentation on how this is done.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.  Like I said, pointers to good
documentation is more than welcome!

Hi, eco!

Here is a link to a setup I built back in '06. I don't claim that it's *good* documentation.

  http://www.hostisimo.com/xen-howto.html

It uses xen-3.0.2 so some things have certainly changed but this may serve as a basis for your efforts.

Because it is in a controlled access environment and at times I need to hang physical boxes onto the various bridges I used three physical NICs. In your case you would only need the WAN to be physical; the DMZ would use a tap device for the bridge.

Chop off what you don't need and use what you do.

I hope you have as much fun as I did getting all the pieces to work together.

nb: this doc resides on a low bandwith adsl connection so access may not be too zippy.

hth,
Mike Wright :m)