[Xen-users] xentrace questions

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Tommy Huang <tommy24@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:15:20 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:16:00 -0700

Hi,

1. What kinds of information does xentrace provide? When I use xenoprof, there
are couple of functions related to xen image, such like do_mmu_op (which I
cannot see in xentrace). However, I can only see hypercall, trap, page_fault,
domain switch in xentrace. Why is it the case?

2. As far as I know, the hypercall should be issued through the hypercall table
which is located in 0xc0101000. And the entry size of the table is 32 bytes. So
the jump address should be 0xc0101000 + 32 * index. However, I can only observe
odd numbers in xentrace. The eip of hypercalls are 0xc01011c7, 0xc01011a7....
Why? How can I know which hypercall has been issued?

3. How would guest OS generate Page_fault events? To update page table, xen
should issue a hypercall explicitly to update it. Is it because that the guest
OS tries to read a page which has been swapped to the disk?

Any related information is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
- Tommy