Re: [Xen-users] Xen kernel and Vmware Server

  • To: "Jay Liu" <jayllo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Grant McWilliams" <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 08:41:24 -0700
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 08:42:08 -0700

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 8:15 AM, Jay Liu <jayllo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Strangely I get through the Vmware install process just fine.

Their modules compile with no error. Heck even the vmware gui console runs. When I try to start the VMware virtual machine image it doesn't start up.

I'm a bit more concerned with getting my xen to work again than vmware... i'll look into turning the vmware modules off as suggested.

This is what you should expect and what I found when I tried it quite a while ago. You can't expect Xen and VMware to both run on the same system when they're accessing the same resources. Consider yourself lucky that you didn't run VBox on your Xen kernel as it will crash the machine dead. If the module is auto loaded it will crash it on every reboot. I made this mistake with the machine not accessible in a datacenter. At least VMware just doesn't run the VMs

Grant McWilliams

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use Windows."
Now they have two problems.