Re: [Xen-users] Is it possible to copy the contents of one domU to another domU?

  • To: "Chris Edwards" <cedwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Agent Rooker" <agentrooker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 12:05:34 -0500
  • Cc: Eamonn Kenny <Eamonn.Kenny@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:06:17 -0700

I'm a little confused, are you doing these steps in dom0 or your
centos domU?  If you're doing it in dom0, this message might indicate
that your logical volume is attached to the domU as a hard drive
rather than as a partition.  As such, it will have a partition table
and potentially a bunch of different partitions.

To make matters worse, if you installed from a disk (i.e., not from a
template) and you used the default partitioning scheme, you probably
have LVM set up in domU.  This means you have nested LVMs, and you'll
have to figure out some way to mount your nested domU filesystem in
dom0 if you want to follow these steps from dom0.

When I decided to move away from nested LVMs in my centos domUs, I
found this message extremely helpful.

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2008-09/msg00594.html

I think these steps (with some modification) might help you to migrate
your files to a smaller filesystem.  But to say for sure, I would need
to know more about your setup.

Agent Rooker