Re: [Xen-users] Block level domU backup

> The idea behind my script is to pause the domU and save a checkpoint
> file, then create LVM snapshots of the important volumes, then restore
> the domU.  This would allow me to restore the domU at a later time on
> another system without losing any data (because uncommitted data would
> be in RAM).  I understand that this will cause some downtime, but
> before I thought of this, I was being asked to shut down the domU
> completely before creating the lvm snapshots.  Anyway, I would like to
> open this up for comments and criticism.

I had the same idea, however the general consensus on the list seems
to be that its not safe. I was never able to get a clear answer as to
how saving the checkpoints did not solve the majority of those issues.
The one case where I figured there would be a window for corruption
was if information was coming over the wire that was being written.