Re: [Xen-users] dell 2850 servers and full virtualization

Coach-X <coachx@xxxxxxx> writes:

> We are looking at purchasing a dell 2850 from ebay.  However we are
> having a lot of trouble finding out if the processor supports VT/vmx,
> full virtualization.
>
> The processors are xeon between 2.8 - 3.6 ghz, most with 800mhz FSB.
> Does anyone with one of these know whether it will support full hardware
> virtualization?

these are the socket604 single-core xeons with hyperthreading and DDR1?
Probably not.

Good rule of thumb:   If it uses DDR2 ram, it may support VT.  If it uses DDR1,
probably not.

I replaced all my socket-604 Xeons with single-socket core2quad boxes a while
ago with unbuffered ECC.  less electricity, more power.  I'm now replacing
the core2quad boxes with dual quad-core xeons w/ 32Gb ram each...  I use
motherboards with 16 ram slots, and the cost per gigabyte is much lower than
either of the previous solutions.