Re: [Xen-users] PCI Passthrough for Windows error

  • To: billy lau <billylau1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: colchaodemola <colchaodemola@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 20:13:42 -0300
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 15:14:59 -0800

billy lau wrote:

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 6:05 PM, colchaodemola <colchaodemola@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:colchaodemola@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 4:18 PM, colchaodemola

        <billylau@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:billylau@xxxxxxxxx>

           <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:deshantm@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:

           >>> On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 3:09 PM, billy lau
        <billylau@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:billylau@xxxxxxxxx>

           <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:deshantm@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>>>

           <billylau@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:billylau@xxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:billylau@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:billylau@xxxxxxxxx>>>

        trying
           other
           >>> ways

        it is,
           what should

        is the
           first
           >>> step.

           >>> is
           Intel(R) Xeon(R)
        do you
           mean by a

           >>> VT (virtualization support) has a bios option, VT-d (IO
           virtualizaiton)
           >>> has
           >>> another.
           >>
           >> I see. Yes, I have confirmed that both options are on in
        the bios.

           >>> Did you turn the computer off (not just restart) after
        setting
           that
           >>> option?
           >>
           >> Yes.
           >>

           >>> The xm dmesg should show that I/O virtualization is
        enabled.

           >> Doing another xm dmesg, it still shows (XEN) I/O
        virtualisation
           disabled.

        <mailto:Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

           > http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users

           I am having the same problem though my architecture is a little
           different.
           I am running red hat 5 ES and compiled xen 3.3 from source ...
           Processor is AMD DUAL OPTERON 2218

           processor       : 0
           vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
           cpu family      : 15
           model           : 65
           model name      : Dual-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2218
           SUN ULTRA 40 M2
           I have IOMMU enabled in BIOS, but i always get io
        virtualization
           disabled.
           Am i missing anything ? Does it AMD IOMMU supported ?
           I am gonna try xen unstable and see if it works.

        Did you add the line iommu=1 in the grub's menu on the kernel
        line?
    Yeah. Still can not get it work.

I see. Well, for now, the first thing is to make sure that your machine supports Vt-d. Once you made sure that, then perhaps you could try xen unstable. I too had some problems with Xen 3.3.0 earlier.

- billy
Is VTd available on AMD machines ? I have IOMMU enabled in BIOS , but i dont know it that is the same thing.