[Xen-users] mount question

Scenario:

I create a domU in an LVM using virt-install (CentOS current).  The
installation goes as expected and all is well.

I thought that I would be able to mount this file system like so:

mount -o loop /dev/VolGroup00/vm_name /mnt/image

...yet I cannot, it tells me I have to provide the filesystem type.
When I do (ext3), that fails telling me it can't find a valid block
device.

Can someone point out what I have done wrong?

thanks,