Re: [Xen-users] Update the kernel?

On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 14:04 +0800, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Tim Post wrote:
> > Some are still trying to keep a fairly new kernel for dom-0 available,
> > such as OpenSUSE and Debian unstable who are both at 2.6.26.
>
> In fact, the Xen kernel maintainers in Debian are using the kernel
> 2.6.26 patch from SUSE, with a bit more or patching. Unfortunately, on
> 64 bits platforms, if the dom0 starts to swap, that dom0 kernel crashes.
> Also, this absolutely does NOT work AT ALL on my laptop (thinkpad t500).
> So I don't think this is a very mature work, at least in Debian.

Well, this is why its in unstable. Also, PAE does not work due to broken
dependencies on compat VDSO. Its a work in progress ... hence unstable.

> That's really the big issue here. Nobody can see what's going to happen,
> and the Xen dev team is NOT shipping a patch for something higher than
> kernel 2.6.18.8 like 2.6.27 or the like. I really don't understand why
> they don't spend efforts on doing so...

Well, why would they? Proporting to a kernel that is 5+ versions ahead
is a huge amount of work. So lets say they started, released it and a
month later dom-0 ops appeared in mainline .. that would be an egregious
waste of talent. What sucks is the unknown, when is it going to hit?
Most distros are banking on 'soon'.

I would agree though, if dom-0 ops do not appear in mainline in the next
few months .. its time to jump kernels, if only for re-staging the
patches for another try. However. at this point, its best to see what
happens.

Have you ever dealt with Linus on a major patch? It gets ugly, quick :)
Debian/SUSE has moved the xen-0 stuff to an agreeable place, work
continues.

Cheers,
--Tim