RE: [Xen-users] Windows NT HVM fail to install

  • To: "Claudemir Todo Bom" <devel@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:24:00 +1100
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:24:44 -0800

> Hi folks,
>
> I am trying to install Windows NT 4 as a Xen HVM DomU to run some
legacy
> applications.
>
> right on the start of installation it gives me a BSOD with the
following
> message:
>
> *** STOP: 0x0000003E (0x00000080,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)
>
> after some digging on the web, i noticed that this bug also occurs
when
> Windows NT is being installed on newer machines with HyperThreading
and
> Multiple Cores.
>
> I tried to run it without acpi, apic, pae and always get the same
error
> screen. Tried to search on documentation to find some option that will
> show to Windows NT a single-core, single-thread processor, but not
found
> any!
>
> Does somebody have a hint on how I need to proceed to install it?

According to the DDK docs:

Bug Check 0x3e = MULTIPROCESSOR_CONFIGURATION_NOT_SUPPORTED
The MULTIPROCESSOR_CONFIGURATION_NOT_SUPPORTED bug check has a value of
0x0000003E. This indicates that the system has multiple processors, but
they are asymmetric in relation to one another.

If vcpus=1 then that is a bit puzzling...

Maybe you need to fiddle with the cpuid setting so that NT gets a cpuid
value that it can understand.

James