RE: [Xen-users] Xen GPL PV and undesirable requirement for APIC (irq >15)

  • To: "'James Harper'" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Oliver Wilcock'" <oliver@xxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Venefax" <venefax@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 10:03:48 -0500
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 07:38:37 -0800
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=from:to:references:in-reply-to:subject:date:message-id:mime-version :content-type:content-transfer-encoding:x-mailer:thread-index :content-language:x-cr-hashedpuzzle:x-cr-puzzleid; b=YsKMjbVPGEBf4nAEcu93nPHE/dzLVZB+0UiTab9WhKfGzkdfTNP8XsELxIiqhfg0PS 80+wq5LfmFHWQf/7TsSlgHHvdWTpJlK/fX5/il4TANQG7uOhMVibixBuFmlpy5zW/682 J3PF6HTJOJYYSJMddW1WPmZG3Hsqd3YOkuPNc=

I concur on seeing the issue. I changed the HAL to Standard PC (Non-apic)
and the Xennet driver strangely got an IP address from the DHCP, but could
not communicate after that. The regular APIC Multiprocessor HAL works fine
with the drivers, but a few machines kill the server. In fact, the idle
usage is 0.9% and if you add more virtual cpus it shoots up to 3.5%, making
impossible to use.
Looking at in perspective, if we are forced to use a single VCPU windows
machine, then Virtual Box gives a substantial advantage in performance, and
you may run many more machines. They don't support SMP, but it seems that
XEN does not either.