Re: [Xen-users] Installing PV image from CDROM

  • To: j_nwb@xxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:03:32 -0500
  • Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:04:09 -0800

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 6:35 PM, J Newbie <j_nwb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Todd.
>
> Could you please elaborate a bit more about what is wrong with CDROM ?

In vanilla Xen, as far as I know you can't use a CDROM directly yet.

The closest that I have seen is:
http://xen.markmail.org/search/?q=pv%20grub%20questions#query:pv%20grub%20questions+page:1+mid:cfyspt5vf3nj3thf+state:results

Open Solaris can install a PV guest from a CD or ISO I believe.

> Also,
> * I am ready to recreate/update initrd if required.
> * Any specific changes in Xen ? What version of Xen would this work on ? What
> type of change was made ?

I believe it is intended to work in the future, especially with
distros like Fedora that, as of the latest Fedora 10, or possibly a
bit earlier, are using Xen guest (domU) enabled kernels as the default
distro kernel.

> * What xen drivers are available for use with PV VMs ?

A decent sense of the PV options available can be found at:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

> I searched the archive for cdrom parvirtualized, pv etc.. but no good hit.

The one above is one of the best. I forgot to mention about the xen-discuss
list of Solaris Xen.

You could try to get them to work on the PVGRUB bug(s) to get it to work
or you could settle on using the localhost mirror setup of it see:
http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-xen@xxxxxxxxxx/msg02144.html

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Todd