[Xen-users] Re: Fwd: bonding ethernet and xen 3.2.1 or later.

"Sassy Natan" <sassyn@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I hope it is ok to ask this by email, since I have spent like 4 days trying
> to configure XEN with bonding.

It would have been better to ask this on the list.

> I saw your post on
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.user/41406/focus=41511
> ans some other links like:
> http://www.performancemagic.com/Dell1950_MD3000i_Xen_Debian_iSCSI_RDAC/Networking.html
> http://www.debian-administration.org/users/lters/weblog/14
>
> but i think you are right that it is better to configure network devices
> using OS and not XEN Scripts

Most of the above is obsolete in Lenny, where you can easily configure
bonding and bridging from /etc/network/interfaces *alone*.

> I did the following: (using debian lenny RC1 with xen 3.2.1 on amd64)
>

> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
> # The primary network interface
> allow-hotplug eth0
> allow-hotplug eth1
> auto bond0
> iface bond0 inet manual
>         # Bonding Options
>         pre-up /sbin/modprobe -v bonding -o bond0 mode=0 miimon=100
> downdelay=200 updelay=200
>         pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up
>         pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth1 up
>         pre-up /sbin/ifconfig bond0 up
>         pre-up /sbin/ifenslave bond0 eth0
>         pre-up /sbin/ifenslave bond0 eth1
>         pre-up /usr/sbin/brctl addbr br0
>         pre-up /sbin/ifconfig br0 up
>         pre-up /usr/sbin/brctl addif br0 bond0
>         pre-up /usr/sbin/brctl stp br0 off
>         pre-up /usr/sbin/brctl setfd br0 0
>         post-down /usr/sbin/brctl delif br0 bond0
>         post-down /sbin/ifconfig br0 down
>         post-down /usr/sbin/brctl delbr br0
>         post-down /sbin/ifenslave -d bond0 eth1
>         post-down /sbin/ifenslave -d bond0 eth0
>         post-down /sbin/ifconfig bond0 down
>         post-down /sbin/ifconfig eth1 down
>         post-down /sbin/ifconfig eth0 down
>         # This might cause Kernel Panic !!!
>         # post-down rmmod bond0
>
> auto br0
> iface br0 inet static
>         address 192.168.0.1
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         network 192.168.0.0
>         broadcast 192.168.0.0
>         gateway 192.168.0.254
>         # dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if
> installed
>         dns-nameservers 192.168.0.6
>         dns-search primesense.com
>
> everything looks fine

No, that looks horrible.  You mix up manual bond and bridge setup
instead of simply using the OS facilities.  Just adapt Massimiliano's
solution, which you quoted first.  Once you have something that simple
which doesn't work, ask again (on the list).
--
Good luck,
Feri.