Re: [Xen-users] Xen virtual interface settings

  • To: "Thomas Halinka" <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Grant McWilliams" <grantmasterflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:29:05 -0800
  • Cc: "Gary W. Smith" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 23:29:54 -0800

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Thomas Halinka <lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Donnerstag, den 11.12.2008, 12:38 -0800 schrieb Gary W. Smith:
> Grant,
>
> I tried something similar some time ago to no avail.  What I ended up
> doing is setting the IP in the script that I used to build the image
> on the fly (i.e. mount the image, add
> custom /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 -- in RH based).

I was thinking about this. I could probably losetup the image and copy the network config to it.

> Altertavitvely you could leave it on DHCP and set all of the mac
> addresses and then create a DHCP pool that is only allocated to
> those MAC addresses.
>
> In short, IP in config for me has never succeeded but fixed MAC's
> have.
but a combination works too, e.g.

vif         = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:5A:A4:A5, ip=192.168.100.1' ]

The Problem if you do _not_ set a mac-adress in domu-config, the
mac-adress for this domu changes on each startup.

> Gary

I'm figuring this out. What mac are you setting by using this line then? I'm not sure what the point is.
You say that fixed macs have worked. I set the mac and my dhcp server but the mac that gets sent is the one of the domU which
is not the one I set in the DomU config. What IS the domU mac= or ip= lines for?

and to these topic:
.... All of the students VMs will be copies (or using qcow2 backing
file) of  a base image so will be identical to save space and setup
time.

Create your "Master-Image" as LVM-Volume and give those domus a snapshot
from this volume. Since lvm supports copy-on-write this is really cool,
e-g- for a web-server-cluster or anything where a "golden-image" and the
guests have only minor changes... .

Just my 2cents

Thomas

Thomas, LVM is very expensive when you have a mass of snapshots though. LVM snapshots are great for backing up but 100 snapshots are going to be a mess.

Grant