Re: [Xen-users] hypervisor?

Brian Krusic wrote:
First, a warm hello.

Second, I use virtualization in a very amateur way by sticking with workstation type products; vmware fusion & workstation and microsofts virtual pc.

These have drawbacks as they require a host to run and a script to boot up the various guest os's as well as other short comings.

I am ready to take it to a new level, xen server and am really stoked!

I just installed xen on centos 5.2, very easy.

I am hoping to apply this hypervisor approach were I have some thin layer of a virtual traffic cop of sorts running 2 oses (centos 5.2 for a drupal server and rhel 5 runnning a zimbra server) on my Intelx64 box which is;

Intel Core
2x2.4GHz
4GB mem

I just enabled Intel Virtualization Technology in the BIOS (it sounded good and probably relates to what I want to do).

Can some one direct me to some docs (haven't found any) on installing a hyper visor on my box and its requirements?

I'm pretty stoked to be getting away from vmware and using what seems to be a linux friendly approach.

 - Brian
Here is a tutorial from HowtoForge about installing Xen on CentOS 5.2. It covers install the Hypervisor and setting up some guests. Hope it helps.

http://www.howtoforge.com/installing-xen-on-centos-5.2-i386

Although it says it is for i386 it should also work for x86_64. Have fun.

Mike