Re: [Xen-users] How to move from pygrub to pv-grub?

Todd Deshane wrote on Sun, 21 Dec 2008 17:40:31 -0500:

> For some reason that thread is broken on the xensource server:
> (a good place to check is xen.markmail.org)
>
> This might be the key bit of info you are missing:
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2008-08/msg01083.html

Thanks for the pointer, but I definitely read each single message that's
shown on that starter page, including the two "subthreads". And I read
this specific one, yes. The point is that I started by adding kernel, then
extra, then root. Eacht time with the same effect of grubdom. So, removing
root wouldn't make a difference. As I see you were able to get the system
booting by giving it the correct parameters. But that's impossible here as
it complains about the partition table. So, this must be something very
different.
What partition table does it mean? This is not an xvda-encapsulated drive,
this is a normal ext3 formatted LVM partition. There's no MBR and no
partition table on it. What partition table where does pv-grub expect?

> There may also be some patches that you need that happened after
> the 3.3 release, but one step at a time I guess.

Don't make me cry ;-) I really don't want to build my own Xen stuff. If
that's what is needed to get pv-grub going I just stick with pygrub as it
is working perfectly :-) However, I would assume that pv-grub in a major
release like 3.3 won't have such a big bug that it doesn't work at all.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany