Re: [Xen-users] Large server, Xen limitations

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009, morten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

we're contemplating getting a large new server, where we will run a number of virtual servers. Are there any things we need to keep in mind in that case? Are there limitations on what a Xen system can manage?

We're talking about a 4 x Quad core CPU server with 64 GBs of RAM and a
couple of terabytes of RAIDed SATA storage.

I have a 2 x quad core Dell PE2900 server with 24 GB memory and a couple of TB of RAID-1 SATA disk running CentOS 5.2 x86_64 and xen 3.0.3, and currently have 33 file-based guests running on it (mostly 32-bit and 64-bit linux, some Windows). All guests have 1 vcpu and 512 MB memory. This setup has been running solidly for about 6 months. Some things I have noticed:

- HVM guests were a lot slower than PV guests, and there is a _lot_ of qemu-dm overhead on Dom0. In particular, 32-bit HVM guests were much slower than 64-bit HVM guests. Avoid HVM as much as possible, and if you can't (Windows), use the Xen PV drivers. My workload consists mostly of a software development environment, so I run a lot of make's (on Windows, under cygwin, sources and objects on Samba shares). I found that the Xen PV drivers on Windows improved performance by over three times (reduced one compilation from 6 hours to 100 minutes); Windows compile performance with cygwin is now about 80% of native speed.

- I converted most of my Linux guests to diskless guests with an NFS root, with the Dom0 as NFS server. Not only do the formerly-HVM guests run much faster, but they also run faster than file-based PV guests, and now 32-bit guests are a little faster than 64-bit guests (less stuff to read from NFS, I presume). The qemu-dm overhead on Dom0 is now essentially zero.

- With a large number of guests, you have to be more careful with their start/stop/start order to avoid the 'out of memory' error.

- Set xen.independent_wallclock on Linux guests if possible (Xen kernel), otherwise it will be next to impossible to keep the clocks in sync.

Steve