[Xen-users] Re: GPLPV drivers problem, or Xen compatibility problem

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Oliver Wilcock" <oliver@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 23:50:08 -0500 (EST)
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 20:51:32 -0800

> Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 21:30:18 +0100
> From: "dilbert" <penne296@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: [Xen-users] Re: GPLPV drivers problem
>
> I have the same problem
>
> My dom0 are either xen3.2 ( debian lenny stock packges ) or xen 3.3 (
> debian
> unstable  )
> my domU is a windows XP sp3
>
> i tried to change nearly all the options provided by the  xen network
> adapter with no luck.
>
> An iperf test between  domU and dom0 or en external host never goes above
> 76Mbits and the domU cpu never goes below 110% during the test.
>
> i also tried an ftp transfer with the same results
>
> So far i have not been able to find a suitable solution.
>

> Dil
>

> "Luís Fernandes" <lfernandes@xxxxxxxx> a écrit dans le message de
> Hello.
> I've been using Xen with some virtual machines for at least 2 years
> now. When we all gone to VT-X, the xen world was introduced to windows
[snip]

> Today I installed 0.9.12-pre13 to test the performance - again the
> performance is very similar with or without the pv drivers (screenshot
> of device manager: http://uplink.lvengine.com/device.jpg )
> I've benchmarked the network with iperf between Xen virtual machines
> (pv machines, not hvm) and I get 2.5gbps ~ 3.0gbps, but with windows I
> get around 40mb/s. My kernel times are almost 100% all the time and
> disk performance is relatively slow (benchmarked with some windows
> app, hd_speed, got me around 11mb/s - not bad, but the kernel times
> are always up there... see http://uplink.lvengine.com/disk.jpg for a
> screenshot).

[snip]

Windows XP HVM, not Windows 2003?
What CPU are you guys using?  AMD?
I haven't been able to get good performance from a Windows XP HVM.
Windows 2003 works fine.

I run my Windows XP HVM with Standard PC HAL to get decent performance for
a single processor (but I can't use the GPLPV drivers with this
configuration).

Someday I hope to have the time to investigate whether the problem is
apparent on Intel CPUs.