[Xen-users] Win2k3 GPLPV Network issue (2)

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Rik v. A" <rikratva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 15:43:57 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 06:44:36 -0800

Sorry for the previous unfinished E-mail. I managed to send it already
using a weird Gmail key combination...

Hi. I am running Windows 2003 Server with James' excellent GPLPV
drivers. They significantly boosted the network throughput (I get
around 600 Mbit using iperf).
However, I am having some trouble with the ethernet. We are using an
accounting application that uses Samba shares to store it's (database)
data. It is very poorly written, and since I moved from a physical
Win2k machine to a Xen-based Win2k3 machine, it keeps crashing. I
thought that it was just due the poor quality of the software, but
since I have started using Bacula for the backups, I suspect the
network drivers. Bacula fails almost every backup job (Connection
reset by peer) to the two Win2k3 machines running on the same Xen
server. It has no problems backing up other (physical) machines.

I tested the packet loss using Iperf UDP tests, and as soon as I
increase the bandwidth, I get packet loss values up to 39%.

I also run a paravirtual Linux guest on this same Xen server that
doesn't suffer from this packet loss.

Is there something I can do?

Kind regards,
Rik