Re: [Xen-users] Mounting Xen LVM Guests

Thanks Fajar,

----- "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't think that's true.
> When using virt-install, the LV will be treated as a whole disk. Thus
> it
> may have partitions, or even PV/LV inside it.

Yes it does and that is what I was using kpart for.

> CentOS (as is RedHat) uses LVM inside guests by default. If you let
> it
> like that, then mounting domU filesystem in dom0 is going to be a
> pain.
> Not impossible, but certainly not easy.

Yes agreed.

> I'd actually suggest one of the followings :
> - startup domU, setup nfs, have dom0 mount domU's share, or
> - reinstall domU with virt-install, choose partitioning setup (not
> LVM)
> on domU, or

These are just test machines so reinstalling is not a issue.
My true end goal is to clone a guest, make a script that mounts it changes some
parameters like IP and Users etc. Unmounts it and starts it. Simple down and
dirty provisioning.

Simple goal. Painful execution.

> - reinstall domU WITHOUT virt-install, use LVS on dom0 directly as
> filesystem on domU (e.g. no more partioning or LVM on domU). This is
> not
> possible using anaconda, thus have to be done manually.

Not sure I follow you on this one.

> - learn how to use kpartx, pvscan, and vgscan, and hope you don't
> have
> conflicting VG names.

This is what I am currently trying to do.

Thanks in advance,

Erin