[Xen-users] Re: migrate file-based vm to lvm?

s0nspark <s0nspark@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> hmm .. I thought of this but I'm not sure how it would work since each image
> file contains 2 partitions, a root partition and a swap partition... I seem
> to recall perhaps some mention of kpartx coming into play... but my memory
> is foggy on the details...

If you dd the file to an LV, that LV will be usable as a whole disk
(xvda) by your domU, exactly like the file was.

If your file isn't sparse, you can create a block device from it by
losetup, then use kpartx on the resulting loop to create separate
block devices for its partitions.  Then you could dd these partition
devices into separate LVs for example, and present those LVs to you
domU as partitions (xvdaN).
--
Feri.