Re: [Xen-users] Running native OS

On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 01:29:33AM -0200, Thiago Camargo Martins Cordeiro wrote:
> Yes, it's possible but, PVM is much more fast than HVM!
> Moreover, Linux from kernel.org already have native support to run has a
> guest OS on Xen, so, if you want to run a native Linux, just compile the
> brand new 2.6.28 with Xen guest support enabled and boot it on your
> dom0...   ;-)

Linux 2.6.28 does NOT have Xen dom0 support.
Linux 2.6.28 only has pv_ops based Xen domU support.

pv_ops Xen dom0 support is currently under development and not yet ready.

See: http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

HVM guests (using hardware virtualization, Intel VT, AMD SVM) are slower than
paravirtualized
(PV) guests, because they require _emulation_ for the unmodified OS to work.

-- Pasi