Re: [Xen-users] Re: dom0 freezing

En/na Ray Barnes ha escrit:
> I recall 3.2.1 to be extremely stable, and I have yet to see a
> software issue under Xen where it did not produce a kernel "oops".
> Did you actually run memtest86 in accordance with my recommendations,
> or some other method?
>
> -Ray
>

> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Sergi Seira <s.seira@xxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:s.seira@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     En/na Bernhard Schmidt ha escrit:
>     > On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 02:24:26AM -0400, Ray Barnes wrote:
>     >
>     > Hi Ray,
>     >
>     >
>     >> Since you have IPKVM access, ask your host to boot up memtest86 for
>     >> you and let your box "cook" for 12 to 24 hours, as these kinds of
>     >> problems are always hardware-related in my experience.  I run a
>     >> hosting shop and memtest86 is standard operating procedure for all
>     >> server deployments.  It will identify hardware issues with the
>     >> motherboard/RAM/cpu usually within minutes, and heat-related issues
>     >> usually within 24 hours.  I would recommend not taking the
>     IPKVM off
>     >> while it's under test for various reasons.  You'll either get a bad
>     >> memory block, a lockup, a reboot, or several passes with no
>     error of
>     >> any kind.  HTH.
>     >>
>     >
>     > If history is any indicator (as I said I had the same problem
>     already
>     > last year) memtest86+ will run fine. But I'm running it nontheless,
>     > first pass has been completed without any errors.
>     >
>     > Bernhard
>     >
>     > Xen-users mailing list
>     > Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>     > http://lists.xensource.com/xen-users
>     >
>     Hello,
>
>     any news on this issue? ... I am experiencing this very same freezing
>     issue with this software installed:
>
>     ii libxenstore3.0 3.2.1-2 Xenstore communications library for Xen
>     ii linux-image-2.6.18-6-xen-amd64 2.6.18.dfsg.1-22etch2 Linux 2.6.18
>     image on AMD64
>     ii linux-modules-2.6.18-6-xen-amd64 2.6.18.dfsg.1-22etch2 Linux 2.6.18
>     modules on AMD64
>     ii xen-hypervisor-3.2-1-amd64 3.2.1-2 The Xen Hypervisor on AMD64
>     ii xen-tools 3.9-3 Tools to manage Debian XEN virtual servers
>     ii xen-utils-3.2-1 3.2.1-2 XEN administrative tools
>     ii xen-utils-common 3.2.0-2 XEN administrative tools - common files
>     ii xenstore-utils 3.2.1-2 Xenstore utilities for Xen
>
>     Freezing episodes happen every day or so. KVM access is dead, no
>     messages on console, no keyboard access ... hardware is tested ok.
>

>     Thanks,
>     regards,
>     Sergi

Hello Ray,

sorry for the delay, I did a memtest and passed with no errors ... It's
a 16GB server so a memtest needs 5/6 hours to complete.
I would like to think this is a hardware issue, but I have another
server where I recently installed xen3.2.1 under debian4.0 and froze
once 7 days ago. The initial complaining server freezes every 2/3 days,
it had 13 paravirtual domU's but now has only two and had a freezing
episode yesterday.
Anyway ... I now this is hard to resolve ... I found on the web only
this thread matching the issue, so it's more likely to be a
hardware/driver problem than a xen problem. I don't like, though, that I
can't point where the problem is.

Thanks for your interest.
Regards,
Sergi