RE: [Xen-users] New to XEN

  • To: Ramón Aguado Martínez <r.aguado@xxxxxxxxx>, <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Robert Dunkley" <Robert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 08:31:53 -0000
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 00:36:43 -0800

1)      Yes, quite easy on a modern box but to  be on the safe side I would recommend 16GB Ram in the system.

2)      A modern dual quad core Xeon with 16Gb RAM and decent raid should handle this very easily. You could proably get away with single cpu quad core with 8Gb RAM.

3)      All have different IPs.

4)      Not entirely sure I unserstand this question. Are you talking about additional client VMs?

5)      It is more of a RAM requirement per VM prediction, add together you predictions for each VM and round up to the near 4Gb would be my recommendation.

If your server load is light (Probably is with only 10 users) then Vurtualization of the servers is a good idea. Virtualization of the desktops though may not be a good idea, will probably be slower and annoy people. For fast restore of desktop hard disks there are many imaging programs and PXE based network loaders that would be better suited than Xen.

Rob Sent: 13 January 2009 07:48
To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] New to XEN

Hello to all.

I’m new to Xen and virtualization. We are a small business, with up to 10  users. In order to reduce our TCO, I’m thinking on installing virtual machines to cut down costs and maintenance.

1)      A 10/100/1000 network to which 1 virtual machine server attached

2)      The different virtual server to run in it are :

a.       MS Windows 2003/2008 Domain controller, DHCP and DNS Server

b.      MS Windows 2003/2008 File and SGBD Server (SQL Server 2005)

c.       MS Windows 2003/2008 Application Server (Autocad 2008, MS Office 2007, Outlook 2007, A windows based ERP, Adobe CS, other graphical applications)

d.      MS Windows 2003/2008 Virtual Desktop or Terminal Server (Maybe this should be the same as the previous one)

3)      One ISA2006 Firewall with 3 Net cards (WAN, Intranet and Print Network). I want two separate networks, one for users one for print, scan and fax hardware.

4)      One Print, Scan and Fax SMS Windows 2003/2008 Server, attached to the Print, Scan Fax Network.

The thing is:

1)      Is it possible to run 4 to 5 VM on 1 Server, Remember all are Windows 2003 or 2008 Servers?

2)      Minimum hardware requirements for this?

3)      Do all server have different IP addresses or all  have the same?

4)      Can I install one Server with several MS Windows XP WM per user? 10 to 15 MS WXP VM? Can each machine have a different IP address?

5)      Since there is going to be a big memory usage with the graphical applications, how much RAM is required per user?

The main thing is to have all users working with dumb terminals (Thin Clients), that can be up and running with minimum hardware requirements. This brings down the time consuming operatios of having to reinstall each of the user’s PC, when we have breakdowns.

Next week I’m starting to set up a lab, trying to get it all to work.

Thanking you all for an early reply,

Ramón Aguado Martínez

Director Técnico

Technical Manager

LogoArpes

+   Polígono Zubiondo, B4-2

         20120 Hernani (Guipúzcoa)
'   +34 943 55 30 12

È  +34 649 88 39 88

7   +34 943 55 77 67

-   r.aguado@xxxxxxxxx

þ    www.arpes.net

This message is intended exclusively for its addressee and may contain information that is CONFIDENTIAL and protected by professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copy or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited by law. If this message has been received in error, please immediately notify us via e-mail and delete it.

Este mensaje se dirige exclusivamente a su destinatario y puede contener información privilegiada o confidencial. Si no es vd. el destinatario indicado, queda notificado de que la utilización, divulgación y/o copia sin autorización está prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma vía y proceda a su destrucción.

P Antes de imprimir este mensaje, asegúrese de que es necesario. El medio ambiente está en nuestra mano.

 The SAQ Group

Registered Office: 18 Chapel Street, Petersfield, Hampshire GU32 3DZ
SAQ is the trading name of SEMTEC Limited. Registered in England & Wales
Company Number: 06481952

http://www.saqnet.co.uk AS29219

SAQ Group Delivers high quality, honestly priced communication and I.T. services to UK Business.

Broadband : Domains : Email : Hosting : CoLo : Servers : Racks : Transit : Backups : Managed Networks : Remote Support.

 SAQ Group

ISPA Member

Find us in http://www.thebestof.co.uk/petersfield