Re: [Xen-users] iSCSI initiator on Dom0, exported to DomU via xvd, Disk IO Drops in Half...

  • To: "Ross Walker" <rswwalker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Christopher Chen" <muffaleta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:03:52 -0800
  • Cc: Xen Users Mailing List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:04:36 -0800

On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Ross Walker <rswwalker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2009, at 6:37 PM, Ross Walker <rswwalker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 13, 2009, at 5:48 PM, "Christopher Chen" <muffaleta@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there!
>>>
>>> I've been wrestling with an issue for a little bit now--
>>>
>>> In my test environment, I have tgtd running on a Centos 5.2 box, with
>>> a raid 10 array backing it.
>>>
>>> The initiators are also Centos 5.2 boxes running Xen 3.0.3 userland
>>> with a Xen 3.1.2/Linux 2.6.18 kernel (as from repos).
>>>
>>> Bonnie++ on the Dom0 shows about 110MB/sec writes, and 45MB/sec reads.
>>
>> That's kind of lopsided I'd expect it the  other way around.
>>
>> Is this hardware RAID on the backend with write-back cache?
>>

>>> I've attached the iSCSI LUN to the DomU as a virtual block device, and
>>> I'm seeing 47MB/sec writes, and 39MB/sec reads.
>>
>> How did you attach it, what Xen driver did you use phy: or file:?
>
> Sorry, missed the virtual block device bit...
>
>>> I've tried a few things, like running against a local disk, and
>>> suprisingly, writes on the DomU are faster than the Dom0--can I assume
>>> the writes are buffered by the Dom0.
>>
>> I'm confused.
>>
>> I thought you said above you got 110MB/s on dom0 and 45MB/s on the domU?
>
> Never mind my comment, writes are only buffered using file: io, but they are
> buffered in the domU's page cache which is where you might be seeing the
> performance difference.
>
>>> I'm going to give a shot doing the initialization from the DomU (just
>>> for kicks...)...and wow! 129MB/sec writes, 49MB/sec reads.
>>
>> You've completely lost me now, what do you mean initialization? Do you
>> mean boot domU off of iSCSI directly?
>
> After re-reading I guessed you meant you attached to the iSCSI lun after
> booting into the VM not as the OS disk.
>
> Again you are most likely seeing all cache affect and not the real io.
>
>>> This is all with bonnie++ -d /mnt -f -u root:root
>>>
>>> Anyone seen this, or have any ideas?
>>>
>>> Is any additional latency provided by the xen virtual block device
>>> causing a degradation in TCP performance (i.e. a window size or
>>> delayed ACK problem) or is the buffering also causing pain? I'm going
>>> to keep looking, but I thought I'd ask all of you.
>>
>> Any layer you add is going to create latency.
>>
>> If you can be a little more clearer I'm sure an accurate explanation can
>> be made.
>
> Try increasing the size of the bonnie test file to defeat the cache, say 2x
> the memory of the dom0 or domU or target which ever is largest.

The nice thing about bonnie++ -f is it sizes the file for 2x memory.
These are the numbers. In any case, the ~110MB/sec writes to the iSCSI
target is our baseline number writing across the network. The Dom0 has
4G allocated to it--bonnie++'s test file is 8G. Any reading lower than
that (in my mind) is degradation. I, of course, expect some effect
from the layering, but 50%?

cc

--
Chris Chen <muffaleta@xxxxxxxxx>
"I want the kind of six pack you can't drink."