Re: [Xen-users] Selecting a linux distro for a xen-involved project

  • To: "Madhuri Venkatesh" <madhureev@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ciro Iriarte" <cyruspy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 11:52:18 -0300
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:52:59 -0800

2009/1/14 Madhuri Venkatesh <madhureev@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi,
> I wanted an opinion on the most xen-compatible linux distro.
>
> Im embarking on a 4 month project  with xen which involves the following
> objectives:
>       1.>Creating a tool with GUI that allows
>                          a)starting,stopping restarting domUs
>                          b)maintaining a status log of domUs
>                          c)migration of dom Us
>                           d) provides status info about domUs
>     2.>Monitoring and Analyzing network usage of domUs using NS2
>     3.>Testing network protocols on the domUs using NS2 in Real time.
>
> I will need to use Xen-api ,which needs xen3.2 or higher...Fedora 8(my
> current dom0)comes with xen3.1 and i ran into "dependency hell" trying to do
> a yum update.
> I want to select a suitable OS for the dom0...ive heard that CentOS and
> Ubuntu Intrepid are good,i wanted an opinion on which will be the most
> suitable development environment to achieve these goals.Please help.
> Thanks
>
> --
> Madhuri Venkatesh
> Fourth Year Undergraduate Student,Computer Science and
> Engineering,RVCE,Bangalore.

I've been running SLES10SP2 for months without issues, openSUSE has
the same administration tools (virt-manager and vm-install) so it'll
be as good as the other one (without the paid support of course)

Regards,

--
Ciro Iriarte
http://cyruspy.wordpress.com