[Xen-users] how to get graphics card passthrough to work?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Alexia Benington <alexbenington@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 22:11:08 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 19:12:08 -0800

Hi all,

I've been trying to get graphics passthrough to work on an Intel DQ45CB board with an Ati Radeon HD2600XT PCIE card. My setup mostly follows the typical PCI passthrough instructions of hiding the PCI card from the Xen kernel, and specifying the BDF in the pci option for the domU configuration. Here's the relevant grub configuration.

kernel    /boot/xen-3.4-unstable.gz com1=9600,8n1 console=com1 iommu=1
module  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18.8-xen root=/dev/sda2 ro xencons=ttyS console.tty0 console=ttyS0, pciback.hide=(01:00.0)

I would expect to lose control of the graphics when I boot into dom0, however this is not the case. xm dmesg does show that the pci device is seized. Why would I still have access to the graphics card?

When I started an Ubuntu domU, lspci is able to list the passed-through graphics card correctly. However, it is not able to load the driver correctly. The case is similar for a Windows domU. Driver installation for the Ati card succeeds, but refuses to load. According to the device manager, the error is a conflicting resource, and it recommends to disable the other conflicting device. Does anyone know what may be happening? I'm guessing that although passthrough somehow worked, the video memory has not been mapped to the required physical address, i.e. a00000 - bffff.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Best rgds,
Alexia