RE: [Xen-users] overcommiting vcpus

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Dustin Henning" <Dustin.Henning@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:50:24 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 06:51:05 -0800

        Of course it can be done, unless they have disabled it since 3.0,
but I don't know why they would, doing that is no different than having more
guests than cores, and don't forget, even dom0 is a guest.
        James:  The performance hit may be worse than you expect, but I 'm
guessing you are working on your GPLPV drivers and that won't matter.  I
believe the original question was about whether or not it would look like a
real system to Windows.  My feeling is that it would be as legitimate as
using 1 or 2 vcpus.  The vcpus are virtual either way, and as you know, what
they look like can be modified in Xen 3.3, but I'm guessing you want the
default appearance of 4 sockets for Enterprise.
        Dustin