Re: [Xen-users] weird domU sizes

Hi Kai,

I'll try your suggestions.

How can I find out if my domU file is really a sparse file?

- Brian

On Jan 17, 2009, at 8:31 AM, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

Brian Krusic wrote on Fri, 16 Jan 2009 17:50:59 -0800:

I've done more tests and have confirmed that wne I do a simple cp to
an nfs or local storage wether its ext3 or xfs, the size of the file
is roughly 1/3 of the size of that same file in its soruce dir of / var/
lib/xen/images.

I have verified that a local copy of a sparse file on ext3 actually
produces another sparse file. I may have had this wrong in memory from the past. But I'm sure that under certain conditions I have seen that a copy
of a sparse file created a non-sparse file with the maximum size.

Here is what you can do to test with sparse files without playing with
your VM all the time:

create an empty sparse file (this one will have 2 MB):
dd if=/dev/zero of=test.img bs=1k seek=2048 count=1

check "official" size:
/home2/vm l test.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2098176 Jan 17 16:34 test.img

check real size on disk:
/home2/vm du -s test.img
12      test.img

Kai