Re: [Xen-users] Distributed xen or cluster?

  • To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 22:09:24 +0700
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 07:10:06 -0800

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 8:21 PM, Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I use SLES10 SP2 for my dom0, which has a few tools that make this possible:
> - EVMS + Heartbeat for shared block devices
> - OCFS2 for a clustered filesystem
> - Heartbeat for maintaining availability.
>
> I have a volume shared out from my SAN that's managed with EVMS on each of
> my Xen servers.  I created an OCFS2 filesystem on this volume and have it
> mounted on all of them.

That setup sounds like it has a lot of overhead. In particular, AFAIK
a clustered file system (like OCFS2) has a lower I/O throughput
(depends on the workload) compared to non-clustered FS. What kind of
workload do you have on your domU's? Are they I/O-hungry (e.g. busy
database servers)?

Also considering that (according to Wikipedia) :
- IBM stopped developing EVMS in 2006
- Novell will be moving to LVM in future products

IMHO it'd be better, performance and support wise, to use cLVM and put
domU's fs on LVM-backed storage. Better yet, have your SAN give each
domU it's own LUN and let all dom0s see them all.

domU config files should still be in a cluster FS (OCFS2 or GFS/GFS2) though.

Regards,

Fajar