Re: [Xen-users] Recent Dom0 kernel

  • To: Bastian Blank <bastian@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Paul Schulze <avlex@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:39:26 +0100
  • Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 12:40:31 -0800

Am 25.01.2009 um 19:22 schrieb Bastian Blank:

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 11:03:23AM +0100, Paul Schulze wrote:
                                          I have tried patching the
Ubuntu Intrepid kernel 2.6.27 with the Gentoo patches, created from
Novells kernel 2.6.27-xen.hg tree and the Novell kernel itself, but I
keep getting BUG()s all over the place and than the kernel crashes,
so both seem out of the question.

So you tried to merge two _huge_ patchsets. This can't really work.

Basically, yes, if you consider the Xen part of the Novell linux-2.6.27-xen.hg tree as _huge_. Please understand, that I did not try to just patch the Ubuntu Intrepid Diffs into that tree. Also note, that I tried to use the linux-2.6.27-xen.hg tree itself, without any patching and I got the same results. So my approach to the whole thing seems to be working, but the resulting kernel is not, in both cases.

                                  I have also tried to find patches
for kernel 2.6.25-26, but no luck so far (I know Debian has some, but
I haven't found the correct ones in the source package).

There exists binary and source packages.

I know, I already had the Debian source package (as I stated), but there is a truck load of patches in them and some depend on others, so the better question here would have been, if someone has a hint for me on which patches I would actually need to apply to a vanilla kernel in order to get Xen support. At the moment, I am trying a different approach to determine, what I need, but a hint would still be helpful, since it is going rather slow.

There are many reasons, hardware support and security mostly.

No. RHEL is both security supported and they add new (server) hardware
support.

Please don't assume, I am using server hardware, just because I am running a server, there is half-decent hardware out there, that doesn't say "Server" on the package as well as the all important price tag. I have tried the XenLinux tree before on another system and I had trouble with hardware support, so it is my very last resort (if even).

                                                              The
system my Xen server is supposed to run on, is about 6 months old
(the hardware itself was released spring 2008) and contains it
components that simply aren't supported in a kernel that is more than
two years old.

Server hardware is rather unproblematic from my view.

A quick view in the changelog of the Debian Etch package shows 3 updates
which includes such hardware:
- 3ware 9650/9690
- New intel network chips
- Compaq smart array

If you want to do anything yourself, your are rather lost, yes.

Well, I've done alot of stuff by myself, so this won't get me down. Or in other words, I am not as new to Linux as you might think (though for whatever reason, my first post might have given you that impression).

             So if you, or anyone else has some hints for me, that
would be really great.

apt-get install linux-image-2.6.26-1-xen-amd64

>Reading package lists... Done
>Building dependency tree
>Reading state information... Done
>E: Couldn't find package linux-image-2.6.26-1-xen-amd64
Ubuntu Hardy (main, universe, multiverse, backports) with Xen 3.3, remember? Additional repositories might be ok, but mixing Ubuntu and Debian main repositories is kinda dangerous, don't you think ;) ?. And yes, there is a Xen kernel available, its just a little older (Xen 3.2) with no more recent Xen kernel in the Intrepid release, so no PvSCSI and with CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_VPCI set as the PCI passthrough backend.

Ah, and stop top-posting.

Only if you say "please" :) .

And thanks, rethink the whole thing just got me a new idea.

Paul.

- --
Paul Schulze
Mail: avlex  gmx  net ($1@$2.$3)
Public Key: http://solaris-net.dyndns.org/keys/key_avlex.asc

"Making mistakes is human,
but to really screw things up, you need Computers"