Re: [Xen-users] which server to buy?

On Monday 26 January 2009 14:45:55 Alexey Zagarin wrote:
> Thank you for your reply, I'm now only concerned about virtualization
> capabilities of AMD vs Intel, if they are roughly equal I'll go with
> Xeon 5405 because it's cheaper & have more cache than Opteron.

It's my understanding that in the 4 socket and above market the Opteron is
king of the hill, 2 and 1 socket performance is perhaps about the same.
This was before quad-cores came to market however.

The big cache on Xeons is to ease the bandwidth constraints of the FSB.
Opterons don't have a shared FSB like Xeons, so don't need the big cache.

I'd take Opterons for server duties over Xeons without blinking, especially
virtualization.

--
Mike Williams