RE: [Xen-users] howto upgrade

  • To: "SZABO Zsolt" <szazs@xxxxxxxxx>,<xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Robert Dunkley" <Robert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:44:00 -0000
  • Cc:
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 05:48:53 -0800

Hi,

We saw time keeping issues with the Tyan B4989 Quads Opterons, I think
it is fairly common. In the end we found using the /acpi=on (Might want
to try numa=on as well) in the bootloader and setting hpet=0 in the VM
config file reduced the problem significantly and NTP on the actual VMs
could then compensate for small differences. This problem sounds similar
to the one you are having in Dom 0, try changing the ACPI HPET option in
the bios (If the VX50 has it).

Some advice from the Xen developers suggested the ACPI HPET timer code
might be a bit shaky (3.3.1 might fix it for all I know, I'm currently
on 3.3.0). I'm still unsure how to tell the timer mode in Dom0 though.

As for upgrading with rollback, this can be done by building the new
kernel and adding it as a separate option in your bootloader (eg. Grub).
I'm quite new to Kernel building and have only just got my first builds
working so you might want to wait for advice from a more experienced
user on that.

Rob