Re: [Xen-users] How to run 32bit HVM guest on 64bit dom0?

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 3:27 AM, David Young <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm trying to run a 32-bit guest via HVM on a 64bit dom0.. I don't know how
> to tell Xen to emulate 32 bits though (the guest has to be 32bit, it's a
> 32bit dev environment).

Simply create it like any other HVM guest you've tried. Whether its
going to be 32bit* or 64bit depends on the OS used on domU, not on
dom0's config file.

If you use a new-enough** Xen version on 64bit hypervisor*** , you can
also use 32bit PAE pv guest on 64bit dom0. You didn't say what domU OS
you use, but if it's Linux then you'd get much better performance with
pv guests.

Regards,

Fajar

* both 32bit PAE and non-PAE can work as HVM domU. This is what
xen_caps "hvm-3.0-x86_32p" means
** RHEL 5.2's Xen is new enough, as is Xen >= 3.2
*** Usually, but not always, this also means 64bit domU