Re: [Xen-users] problem on loading VM

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 9:57 PM, janskey <janskey_boy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [2008-12-19 17:20:53 xend 3358] ERROR (XendDomain:278) Restore failed

> Issue1: I add my Guest OS (vm1) to /etc/xen/auto so that it will run
> automatically when the Host is restarted. But VM1 can't boot because of the
> error above.

I'm guessing:
- you use Centos/RHEL 5
- you haven't touch /etc/sysconfig/xendomains

If yes, then your problem most likely are :
- RH's xendomains script by default saves (not shutdown) a domU on
dom0 shutdown/reboot
- Default save location is /var/lib/xen/save
- You don't have enough space on that dir to hold (at least) all domU RAM
- domU save partially complete leaving a corrupted file on
/var/lib/xen/save, which makes xen unable to restore it later (see
snipped error message)

How to solve :
edit /etc/sysconfig/xendomains, change

XENDOMAINS_SAVE=/var/lib/xen/save

XENDOMAINS_SAVE=

then try to restart dom0

> Issue2: VM2 can't load second interface if run manually using "xm create"
> but putting it on /etc/xen/auto 2nd interface is ok

No idea. But looking at this

> BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#1!
>  [<c043ea67>] softlockup_tick+0x98/0xa6

is veeery bad. And from here

> Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5 (Tikanga)
> Kernel 2.6.18-8.el5xen on an i686

You're using an old version of RHEL5
> A) Is this a bug?

Yes. Probably it's been fixed somewhere between RHEL 5 - 5.3.
Try upgrading to RHEL 5.3 (or at least Centos 5.2 and doing yum update
afterwards)

Here's current version from RH
kernel-xen-2.6.18-128.el5
xen-3.0.3-80.el5