Re: [Xen-users] IP config problem with HVM

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 5:58 AM, Rich Sage <rich.sage@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The 3rd
> is Windows Server 2003

Just to be sure, is it a new install? Win 2003 sp1 has firewall which
isn't enabled by default. Make sure it's not running an blocking ping
request :)

> vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]

Does type=ioemu realy needed these days?
Here's what I use

vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3E:XX:XX:XX, bridge=br6' ]

change XX to whatever MAC you choose. This helps by making domUs MAC
persistent (which should help prevent certain network problems). My
bridge is br6, in your case it would be xenbr0.

Using this config, I installed Win 2003 (which can access network
correctly), updated to SP1, then installed GPLPV driver (which boosts
network performance greatly).

> I've also enabled proxy_arp on peth0 via:
>
> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/peth0/proxy_arp

It should not matter for bridged setup. Leave it 0.

> Is there something crucial I'm missing here? If I've forgotten to provide
> any more useful information, please let me know and I'll post it :-)

After setting up static MAC address (and making sure there's no
firewall on Windows side), try this :
- make sure that dom0 has no firewall, or make sure that it allows
traffic from bridged domU
- ping to and from dom0, snoop the traffic for arp and icmp using

tcpdump -n -i xenbr0 arp or icmp

do it on the bridge, domU's tap device, and peth0. That should at
least give some info on where the packets are missing.

Regards,

Fajar