Re: [Xen-users] propagating blktap partition changes

Op Thursday 05 February 2009 16:55:44 schreef Javier Guerra:
> On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Maarten Vanraes <maarten@xxxxx> wrote:
> > that would mean that adding a PV to the volgroup would make the / bigger?
> > enableing myself to use resize2fs on the domU directly?
>
> adding a PV (physical volume)  to the VG (volume group) makes the VG
> bigger.  then you can grow any LV (logical volume).
>
> IOW, the VG abstracts the PVs.  the LVs don't care where the storage is.

I guess that makes sense...

If i were to choose between this or mdadm with linear mode, which would be
more efficient? i'm guessing it'd be mdadm. and i wouldn't need anything more
than this...

I know LVM is much more flexible though, but i don't necessarily need all that
abstraction functionality. I plainly want to enlarge my /.

if i were to use mdadm linear mode, could i migrate to this live? i'm guessing
not... especially since it's the /.

1. can i create the linear mode raid without losing data? ie: the first
partition doesn't need to be changed, right? I guess this could work.
2. can I switch the / device while it's being used? i remember that initrd
have a command that does this (pivot_root) or something...

I guess this is really going off-topic. it would be so much better if the
propagation would work...

Sincerely,

Maarten