Re: [Xen-users] guest only networking

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 09:57 +0700, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 5:30 AM, Gary Koskenmaki <garyk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm trying to use Xen in the following way and having a real problem
> > getting it to work.
>
> > Is this possible?  So far all my attempts at it have failed.  I can
> > successfully set up two publicly available ip addresses on the DomU's
> > using separate NICs on Dom0, but any time I try using a single NIC and a
> > purely virtual network on the DomU's the DomU's lose all networking
>
> What distro do you use?
I'm running Debian, Lenny, to be specific.  I'm using only the tools
that come as Debian packages, and I'm creating the DomU's with
xen-tools.

I'm glad to hear that this should at least be possible.  I figured it
should be, but was beginning to wonder.

The version of Xen that is in the Lenny repositories is 3.2.  As far as
your reference to libvirtd is concerned Lenny has a few libvirt
packages, none of which I have installed, and they areall libraries to
executable programs, per se,  I do have a package named Convirt
installed, which came out of unstable, and it's used for creating
virtual machines in Xen.  From what I've seen of it playing around with
it, it's just as easy to use xen-tools though and I haven't see anything
there about creating network connections with it.

There is a Debian package called virtinst whose home page is from
RedHat.  Here's the output from apt-cache show virtinst.   Is this the
same as the libvirtd package that you're talking about?

$ apt-cache show virtinst
Package: virtinst
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 768
Maintainer: Debian Libvirt Maintainers
<pkg-libvirt-maintainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Architecture: all
Version: 0.400.0-7
Depends: python (>= 2.4), python-support (>= 0.7.1), python-libvirt (>=
0.4.6), python-libxml2, python-urlgrabber
Recommends: virt-viewer, qemu
Filename: pool/main/v/virtinst/virtinst_0.400.0-7_all.deb
Size: 186600
MD5sum: 27af52c00b5454374a5e20f7990356c3
SHA1: 2484e3942aac45f2e019ec9dde1c6b801381ace6
SHA256: ca8a686a507a21d7b933a4033f7c6cd92e29578bdadb830b5ab88124c6f09d87
 Virtinst is a set of commandline tools to create virtual machines using
 libvirt:
 .
 virt-install: provision new virtual machines
 virt-clone: clone existing virtual machines
 virt-image: create virtual machines from an image description
 virt-convert: convert virtual machines between formats
Homepage: http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/
Tag: admin::virtualization, implemented-in::python, role::program