Re: [Xen-users] iptables & kernel problems on Debian domU

Hi Rudi,

i thought you read my book ;)

Am Freitag, den 20.02.2009, 00:14 +0200 schrieb Rudi Ahlers:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Debian 4.0 XEN dom, which is giving me some strange errors on
> the kernel when I try and use iptables, as such:
>
> stats:/etc/snmp# iptables -L -v
> Note: /etc/modules.conf is more recent than
> /lib/modules/2.6.18-8.1.15.el5xen/modules.dep
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Something strange here

This is not a Debian-Kernel!

> modprobe: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
>
> modprobe: QM_MODULES: Function not implemented
>
> modprobe: Can't locate module ip_tables
> iptables v1.3.6: can't initialize iptables table `filter': iptables
> who? (do you need to insmod?)
> Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
>

> When I run apt-get upgrade, there's no newer kernel to install.
> I also don't see grub anywhere, so I don't know how to manually
> install & load a different kernel at boot time, on the domU. I suppose
> I could just install grub, and a kernel, but I don't know how it will
> affect the VPS.

Again - this is not a Debian-Kernel!

> Can anyone point me into the right direction?

Let me guess that the problem is solved through:

- rebuilding initrd of dom0

or

- installing the debian-Kernel in _domU_ and altering domu.cfg in
_dom0_

 or

- installing the debian-Kernel in _domU_ and make usage of pvgrub/pygrub
in dom0

hth,

Thomas