[Xen-users] Re: In the year 2038! Is Xen messing with my clock?

This is an update on my problem. Still trying to solve this after almost a month.

On 1/29/09 8:29 PM, Michael Brancato wrote:
I've started experiencing some weird issues with my Xen machine at home.
It has been very stable until a few weeks ago, but it only ran an
OpenSolaris PV system other than the Ubuntu Dom0. The build of
OpenSolaris was relatively old, nv79.

So crazy me did two things not too far apart from one another. First was
I manually P2V'd the only Windows box in the house in an attempt to
reduce power consumption for a computer that was always on but rarely
used. That went smooth. That HVM now runs 24/7 in case my wife needs it.

In an attempt to isolate the problem, I have kept this domU offline since late January.

The second thing I did was an in-place upgrade of my OpenSolaris box
which has my ZFS pool on it. I also switched from Samba to the Solaris
CIFS Service, but I doubt that has anything to do with this.

This is still running, and is definitely not causing the problem

I should have kept better records, but that doesn't matter now. At some
point, the Dom0 became unresponsive over the network. A trip to the
basement showed the computer unresponsive to input. I powered off and
rebooted, it worked. A week or two later, same thing. Then last night,
it did it again. I gave up and went to bed and when I woke up, I noticed
I had new mail on my phone (mail is received on my Dom0). I ssh'd in and
it was up. Only, it was June 9th, 2038 with an uptime of 19499 days(I
took a screenshot for bragging purposes =p). This itself was wrong
because it would have been the year 2062 by those numbers. The output of
'xm list' showed my VM's running but none were reachable. This lasted
for only an hour or so before it again was unresponsive and never came
back.

I can't find any logs showing what caused it, but here are some
interesting things. If you have any idea why this may be happening,
please respond. I'm just hoping its not hardware.

Jan 23 00:10:02 fry kernel: [305645.199106] clocksource/0: Time went
backwards: ret=11707a938ea09 delta=-31783517 shadow=117078e4777f3
offset=1cd6c78e
Jan 26 23:14:36 fry kernel: [646712.625002] clocksource/1: Time went
backwards: ret=24e581b176a1e delta=-11315340 shadow=24e57e320d5b6
offset=38a355be

So here is the gist... with HVM domains, my clock blows up after a week. Without them, it is stable. Does anybody have any idea what I could do to further isolate the problem?

I am running Xen 3.3.0 on Ubuntu.

Regards,

--
Mike