Re: [Xen-users] Anything come close to esx for xen?

  • From: Thomas Goirand <thomas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 06:41:43 +0800
  • Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:42:27 -0800

lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Corrected, things DO change, just not that often :).
>
> Been using open source since the early 90's and most projects have remained
> open while some have indeed gone commercial. No problem with commercial,
> that's not my point. My point is, don't need the surprises. If I use an open
> source project, I hope I can use it long term. If I use a commercial product,
> same thing.
>
> Of course, either can change as well but again, my point is simply about
> being surprised.
>
> Mike

The licensing change is unclear to me. Is it free as free beer, or free
as freedom? Is XenServer now in open source? Where can I find such
information?

I have the feeling it's just free as free beer. In fact, I don't like AT
ALL the spirit of Citrix here. We can see in the press release:

“Free hypervisors with limited functionality have been around for a long
time."

Just as if the hypervisor of the OpenSource Xen was too limited. This is
trying to confuse people, so they think that only the non open source
version of the Xen hypervisor was good... The reality is in fact that
the paid version of Xen adds almost nothing, except maybe being stuck to
a silly RPM based distributions.

All this is definitively not for me, I'd rather continue working on our
own open source project (REALLY free: free as freedom to see my
code...), that clearly leads the way: we are the only company in the
world that has released an open source web control panel aimed at
commercial VPS hosting which is included/shipped in Debian Lenny. I have
just added an "appliance builder" tonight (point and click, and you have
a VPS with nx-server automatically setup using apt at the first boot...).

People working with open source will ALWAYS be better integrated, or
even shipped with the distributions. THAT changes everything.

Thomas Goirand