Re: [Xen-users] Opteron 880 can host a Windows?

On February 24, 2009 9:40 am Espák Miklós wrote:
> I have read that unmodified guests, like Windows can run only if the
> CPU supports virtualization.
>
> The computer has two dual core Opteron 880 CPUs.
> Debian Etch is installed on domU.
>
> How can I get know whether this CPU is supported?

3rd Generation Opterons were the first to include SVM support.  All 3rd Gen
Opterons have 4-digit model numbers.

3-digit model numbers are 2nd and 1st Gen Opterons.  They do not support
SVM, which means they cannot run hardware-assisted VMs (HVM) and thus, can't
run Windows.

> The description of a CPU core from /proc/cpuinfo:

> processor       : 3
> vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 33
> model name      : Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 880
> stepping        : 2
> cpu MHz         : 2389.460
> cache size      : 1024 KB
> physical id     : 3
> siblings        : 1
> core id         : 0
> cpu cores       : 1
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 1
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu de tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr mca cmov pat
> pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxextfxsr_opt lm
> 3dnowext 3dnow pni lahf_lm cmp_legacy

Note how there is no mention of "svm" or "vmx" in the flags line.  This
means there is no support for hardware-assisted VMs.
--
Freddie
fjwcash@xxxxxxxxx