Re: [Xen-users] xen-on-xen

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Steven Maresca <steve.maresca@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 08:16:34 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 05:17:16 -0800

James Harper wrote:

>I use a xen box to do test restores of customer backups to validate that
>the backed up data is actually enough to rebuild their servers from.
>This works really really well for restoring one or more physical
>machines and a workstation or two.
>
>We now have a few customers actually using xen on their own networks, so
>I am now faced with a new problem of how best to restore them...
>
>Being able to run Xen on top of Xen would solve that... is there a way?

You can certainly slap xen into a linux (HVM) domain, installing dom0
as you normally might for your chosen distribution. This is the only
possibility for 'nested' xen-on-xen virtualization.

Caveats: It is usually god-awful slow, partly mitigated via PV drivers
in the 'child' dom0.  You are limited to running paravirt domUs within
this child. I would not suggest such a configuration for anything
other than experimentation/development.

-s