Re: [Xen-users] What storage system to use for xen? img or phy lvm

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Tom Jensen" <tom.jensen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 13:25:30 -0600 (CST)
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 11:26:37 -0800

> I was wondering if img's are a lot slower then using  lvm on dom0
> partition?
> The domU will be handling web site and mail servers.

I used to run img files at first.  For several reasons, I switched to
using LVM on Dom0.  The first was the ease of resizing partitions later as
needed.  Another was the option to do snapshot backups from the logical
volumes.

Although I haven't done any quantitative testing, it feels as though it is
quicker using LVM.

I am using paravirtualized Linux DomU's on a Debian based Dom0 OS.
Similar to your setup, my machines primarily operate as mail servers, web
server, DNS, and ftp server.