Re: [Xen-users] hvm install through serial console

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Sergi Seira <s.seira@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to install a debian hardware virtual machine using console port -
> not vnc - hoping to be able to do the installation with xm console domid.
> Dom0 is a debian etch server, Xen version 3.2.1.

> First of all I'm trying to customize debian netinst cdrom in order to make it
> talk through serial line. I suppose my mistake starts here, for I don't know
> if this is really possible to achieve.

You should ask Debian experts about the serial console then :)

What I for RHEL HVM (some of this might be relevant for you):
- Use CD1 for installation and create config file to boot from CD.
This is easier (for me).
- setup HVM config file enabling serial console (serial='pty'), with
vnc still enabled
- startup domU, output will be on vnc console
- type "linux askmethod console=ttyS0"

To pinpoint cause of error, you might want to enable vnc console and
see what comes out. What I did for vnc is include these lines

sdl=0
vnc=1
vnclisten="0.0.0.0"
vncpasswd=''

so I can connect using vncviewer from another host.

Regards,

Fajar