[Xen-users] Windows HVM automated shutdown/restart problems

I am having problems with Windows HVM automated shutdown and restart in a Windows 2003 Standard domU.

Everything on the domU's are fine until Windows pushes an automatic update and needs to reboot.

This happens regardless of the ACPI version of HAL (fresh install from ISO, vm clone, etc), number of vpus, memory (basically anything I can change).

When the domU is signaled to reboot it will stall at the default screen with just a pointer (in the vnc session)

Now internal to the domU if I manually restart / shutdown the machine everything is fine.

This happens with GPLPV drivers install or native ioemu.

Here is the configuration of the system.

Debian (Lenny) default packages

xen-hypervisor-3.2-1-i386
xen-linux-system-2.6.26-1-xen-686
xen-utils-3.2-1
xenstore-utils
xenwatch
xen-shell
xen-tools

default running configuration win2k3.conf

kernel =  '/usr/lib/xen-3.2-1/boot/hvmloader'
memory =  '1024'
device_model = '/usr/lib/xen-3.2-1/bin/qemu-dm'

disk = [ 'file:/var/xen/domains/win2k3/win2k3_1.img,ioemu:hda,w' ]

name = 'win2k3'

vif = ['type=ioemu, bridge=eth0']
# vif = ['bridge=eth0']

vcpus = '4'
acpi = '1'
apic = '1'

boot = 'cd'
#boot = 'dc'

vnc = '1'
vncviewer = '1'
vncunused = '0'
sdl = '0'
usbdevice = 'tablet'

I have tried (and read) many things to get the machine to reboot in an automated fashion, but no matter what I do the domU's hang.

I am working on updating to the latest revision of xen (from source) and am looking for some help solving this issue.

Thanks,
Ryan

Windows Live™ Contacts: Organize your contact list. Check it out.